Friday, October 8, 2010

500 words on Painting by Bruegel

In this painting "Landscape with the fall of Icarus" by Pieter Bruegel, my observation is I see different shades of colors such as yellow, blue, green, white, red, orange, brown, and grey. Also I the painting I see a few animals such as a horse, some sheep, a dog, a bird, and a partridge (which is supposed to be Daedalus’s nephew that he kicked off the edge of a cliff and was turned into a bird). Also in the sky I see clouds and the sun . I also see an ocean and on the water I see about five ships, huge rocks, a small island with a stone house, another island and the sun’s reflection. But the ships look like they are leaving a city which is located on the left of the painting. The city looks like it is surrounded by water on one side and on the other it looks like it is surrounded by mountains. Near the sun it looks like a volcano is located there because of its outline. On the opposite side of the city there are a lot more mountains. When I first looked at the painting I first noticed the man in red who is plowing his land, he is dressed in a red shirt and some sort of dress and some sort of hat or helmet and he is also pushing around a ancient plower. Around him I see very dry dirt and grass and some of the small plants look like they are dieing. Also I see beautiful trees that look like they are just blooming and bushes and shrubs. Then at the edge of the cliff he is on I can see dead dried up plants that look like they where ounce very beautiful. Then I noticed the man in a blue/grey shirt who is a shepherd with approximately sixteen sheep and he has a brown sheep dog. The way he is positioned is that he must be looking in the air at Daedalus and Icarus falling or he might be thinks strongly about things such as breaking the laws of nature. Then I noticed Icarus drowning in the water which is located in the bottom right of the painting. You cant really see him because he is drowning but I know its him because of the feathers in the water surrounding the body and his legs are hanging out of the water. Then I noticed the fisherman at the coast fishing, he is dressed in a light brown shirt. I also see the cliff that might have been the cliff that Daedalus pushed his nephew off of. All of the men look like they don’t care about Icarus drowning in the water, that shows that humans only care for themselves, but they could be mad at him because he had them thinking that him and his father are gods when they clearly not if he just fell out of the sky and died. That is all I see in the painting "Landscape with the fall of Icarus" by Pieter Bruegel.

No comments:

Post a Comment